PAL Workshop Day 1

MONDAY 6TH OCTOBER 2008 - Today was the first day of PAL training. We talked about our fears as PAL leaders - what scared us the most, the issues that concerned us and how we could prepare for these concerns should they arise. It was a really good day and by the end of it I felt like I had a lot more confidence and I definitely feel more relaxed about taking our first session next week. After we had discussed our fears we went through the PAL Leader handbook - this enabled us to identify the key points that we need to remember in order to make our sessions active and useful, most importantly though, beneficial to the students. In the afternoon we did a practice PAL session. To start with I was really worried about doing it - but in the end I just took a deep breath and once I had started it got easier and soon I felt comfortable taking the session. It was a really good day and I learnt a lot. I am slightly concerned that I have a deadline for our first brief which is Thursday. I also have my trial session for the design job in the Enterprise Pavilion tomorrow afternoon, and the last part of PAL in the morning. I feel like in a couple of weeks I will be settled - I have had a lot on at the moment, finding somewhere to live being the most stressful! I have moved for the second time in a couple of weeks, but am in the right place now and can start sorting my stuff out so I feel at home! All in all I am looking forward to getting settled and being able to throw myself into my studies - this year is going to be a good year and I really want to work hard, especially as I don't think I will be taking the third year, this second year is really important for me. I need to build up a strong portfolio to help me find work. I will write again tomorrow with feedback from the last PAL session, and an update on the trial at the EP.

No comments: